Today, BigD and I had a great time trying out our fruit leather recipe. I love that fact that I know all what is in it (only five ingredients) and it is kid approved. Go mom.
What you will need:
- Fresh blueberries and strawberries
- Lemon juice
- Sugar (if fruit is not sweet enough)
- Cinnamon (optional)
1. Rinse all berries.
2. Cut up the blueberries (which roll everywhere) and strawberries to as small as you can possibly get them.
3. Place fruit into a large saucepan. Add a half cup of water for every 4 cups of chopped berries. Bring to a simmer, cover and let cook on low for 10 minutes, uncover and stir. Use a potato masher to mash up the fruit in the pan. Taste the fruit to determine sugar/lemon/cinnamon use. Continue to summer and stir until any added sugar is completely dissolved and the fruit puree has thickened (another 5 minutes).
4. Remove from heat and cool. Place cool fruit into a blender to puree. Taste again and adjust the sugar/lemon/cinnamon if necessary. The puree should be smooth.
5. Line a rimmed baking sheet with a sturdy plastic wrap (oven safe). Pour out the puree into the lines baking sheet to about an 1/4 inch thickness.
6. Place the baking sheet into the oven at 140 degrees for 8 hours. The leather is ready when it is no longer sticky, but has a smooth surface.
7. When leather is ready, you can easily cut your strips with the paper and roll it up into your fruit roll. Place a string around it to keep it secure. Put it in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator or freezer.
Have fun and enjoy! This is a great recipe for kids to get involved with as well, it shows them what exactly is going into their food and intrigues them to eat it when it is done.
How did your fruit leather turn out?